staff-maintained indexes and databases

Glenn Peterson glenn at ENGAGEDPATRONS.ORG
Thu Dec 13 00:25:08 EST 2012

Hi Inge --

As part of my EngagedPatrons.org project I have web-enabled a number of local library databases, mostly genealogical but some others as well. I create a custom search interface to match the data fields included in your index.

Here's a recent example for Marshfield (WI) Public Library's Genealogy Index:

http://engagedpatrons.org/database/MPLGenealogy/

Typically the setup fee is under $500, with annual hosting for $95/year. Feel free to contact me for more information.

Glenn Peterson, MLS
http://engagedpatrons.org

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Inge Kokidko
  To: WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU
  Sent: Wednesday, December 12, 2012 11:09 AM
  Subject: [WEB4LIB] staff-maintained indexes and databases

  Our staff index a lot of local genealogy information (obituaries, marriages/divorces, etc) and we make that information available online as searchable databases (really they are just tables). In the past we have been using Greenstone, but would like to explore other options. We are considering Drupal, but the Data module is currently missing a processor. With the limited time we have to learn/maintain this data I'm hoping for a more complete or streamlined solution. Some of the indexes are "finished", and others we update continuously as additional obituaries etc. are published.

  What solutions are you using? Obviously cost is a factor, which is one reason we considered Greenstone, but would be willing to pay if it were a reasonable price. Is anyone using their ILS for this? Any other ideas of ways to do this? The data is simple, as I said they are all just basic tables.

  --

  Inge Kokidko, MLS
  Systems Librarian

  Web4Lib Web Site: http://web4lib.org/