Some work fun before the holiday weekend...

Carson Block librarylandtech at GMAIL.COM
Thu Aug 30 10:49:16 EDT 2012

**Please forgive cross-posting**

Hi Folks!

As you crank to get those last things done before the long holiday weekend
(and props to those of you actually working most of this weekend - that's
me too :0), I'd like to invite you to do something *fun*.

There's an energetic group of smart and talented library, museum and
archive evangelists (called #sxswLAM - check us out on the Facebook and the
Twitter) who are ready to take the annual South by Southwest Interactive
(SXSWi) Conference by storm to engage the creators of our digital present
and future -- and invite them into the overall greatness and awesomeness of
libraries.

A SXSW talk can really make a difference.  I did a library advocacy talk
there last year (highlighting our struggles with eBooks and calling the
community to action) and it was covered by Time magazine online!  The
author didn't realize that libraries were in trouble, but now that he
knows, he took action (including sharing his story to a huge audience).
 Score!

To help get the library message into this extremely important community,
please take a look at the sessions proposed by librarians - (they are
gathered here:  http://www.sxswlam.info/   )  and vote for the ones you
think should make it into the conference!  Heck -- just vote for all of
them.  They are all great!

Deadline to vote is this Friday (Aug 31) so as you're doing your own bit to
make libraries awesome, you might enjoy taking a minute to support those
who want to spread the good news of libraries far and wide.

Thanks!

Carson

PS - My proposed talk this year is targeted at bringing library issues into
the mainstream at SXSW - although libraries are not in the title or program
description, libraries are a prominent part of my talk.  After all, they
are places of great convergence *and* great specialization -- and
ultimately offer choice to all.  Sneaky, eh!?  I have no idea if this
approach will work or not, but you have to go for broke at SXSW.  You can
see more at: http://panelpicker.sxsw.com/vote/1689

--
*Carson Block Consulting Inc.*
*Technology Vision.  Technology Power.  Your Library.*

Web4Lib Web Site: http://web4lib.org/

2012-08-30