Call > Towards the Global Library – Applying the Agenda 21 to Library Marketing

McKiernan, Gerard [LIB] gerrymck at IASTATE.EDU
Wed Apr 18 23:42:00 EDT 2012

*** Spoiler Alert < Possible Duplicate Posting ***

Colleagues/

My Web colleague, Joachim Schöpfel, head of the LIS department at the University of Lille 3 (France) and I are in the process of preparing a contribution for a planned volume titled _Marketing Library and Information Services: A Global Outlook_, which is scheduled to published for IFLA by De Gruyter Saur in the last quarter of 2012.

I am writing to request information about any/all initiatives/projects relating to the major topics noted below.

I am particularly interested in activities that have yet been widely publicized or are currently in the planning stages.

BTW: We each have individual bibliographic databases containing cites/sites to numerous efforts.

Abstract

The Agenda 21 is the United Nations’ action plan for the 21st century in favour of sustainable development. Launched at the Rio Earth Summit in 1992, its 40 chapters include social, economic and ecological actions for implementation by local authorities, governments, but also by corporate companies and services.

Twenty years after the Earth Summit, it is time to apply the Agenda 21 to library marketing and management and to move on to the global or sustainable library. Based on the marketing concepts of global performance and corporate social responsibility, we describe five main dimensions, e.g. social, societal, ecological, commercial and economic performance, and encourage a conceptual framework for the evaluation, management and development of libraries and information services.

Beyond marketing, our manifesto is also designed to provide a new outline and clear structure for LIS education, research and publication.

> Think global, act local
Introduction to Agenda 21
A new approach to library marketing

> Global performance
The multi-level concept of global performance
Performance, evaluation and audit

> Social responsibility
Social and societal performance
Working conditions
Human resources
Library and community
The library as part of local and cultural policy

> Green library
Ecological performance

> Return on investment
Economic (financial) performance
Indicators and dashboards
Reporting

>Service quality and user satisfaction
Commercial performance
User-centred marketing and innovation
User studies

> Towards a global library
Concluding remarks on sustainable development, library performance and marketing
Global in a double sens: converging cultural concepts and holistic approach

> Bibliography

Please submit any/all information as a Comment on the appropriate entry on _The Green Library_ blog at

[ http://bit.ly/J1voFI ]

Thanks for your assistance !

Regards,

/Gerry