Ebook vendor/Overdrive technical issues mailing list

Sutherland, Paul Paul.Sutherland at CCC.GOVT.NZ
Wed Apr 18 02:53:50 EDT 2012

Hi

I am wondering is there an email list / discussion list / etc place to
discuss technical issues relating to eBooks vendors such as Overdrive.

Actually just Overdrive.

Although I am interested in the various policies and politics of the
eBook market and libraries,  and all the things we are worried about - I
am not looking for such a space. I am ambivalent to the vendor other
than I want it to work because we are paying.

BUT  - I want a place where I can ask question and share issues - and
find solutions to help our customers with a (we have purchased it and we
want to make it work) product (Overdrive).

Most of our issues are to do with eBooks - but audio books still cause
us occasional grief.

And maybe even a place to help lobby Overdrive that some of their
technical answers are not acceptable to close a helpdesk call - because
the issue is not resolved.

(I can post a couple of examples of these if anyone is interested...)

Over the last year Overdrive have greatly ramped up their public facing
help pages but there are still gaps (stuff they may not want to own up
to maybe)

We have built up an internal solutions  wiki - and are thinking how to
review - and neutralize some of our comments so we can publicly share
our solutions as other libraries have. So we and our customers can use
Google to help find similar cases/solutions

I have in the last couple of years seen some overdrive technical issues
so is this list the place? (I think probably not,,,)

thanks

Cheers

Paul

P.s. in NZ Kindle is not (yet) supported by Amazon/Overdrive so we
probably don't have half the problems US librarians may... but we do
have lots of devices not sold in US that Overdrive are unsure if they
support (because they are not sold in the US Market so they cannot test)
even though Overdrive is a global company!

Paul Sutherland
Christchurch City Libraries
Christchurch
New Zealand

christchurchcitylibraries.com

This electronic email and any files transmitted with it are intended

The views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender
and may not necessarily reflect the views of the Christchurch City Council.

If you are not the correct recipient of this email please advise the
sender and delete.

Christchurch City Council
http://www.ccc.govt.nz