[Web4lib] barcode scanner recommendations

Lucien Kress lucienk at multcolib.org
Thu Oct 6 17:49:06 EDT 2011

I apologize if this is out of scope, but ever since LIBNT_L went into
decline, I've wondered where to post non-Internet related technology
questions.  (Recommendations would be appreciated.)

Our patrons are asking for the ability to check out using a smartphone-based
library card, and we would need to upgrade our self-check barcode scanners
to accommodate that. What particular makes/models of CCD/image-based barcode
scanner do you recommend?

We need to be able to attach them to the work surface and limit the range of
motion, and we need to be able to do the usual amount of scanner
configuration.  It would be especially useful to be able to prevent the
scanners from reading barcodes that don't have the same starting digits as
our patron barcodes.

Thanks!

Lucien
--