[Web4lib] Multiple Entrances in Academic Libraries

Harris, Jennifer jharris at mercyhurst.edu
Wed Nov 9 09:11:02 EST 2011

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone out there has any advice/experience working in or running an academic library with multiple entrances and exits?
Basically, we have always had a single entrance, but due to some recent construction we are going to have multiple entrances in the near future and are wondering what other schools do to manage this.

Any insight anyone has on the following subject areas would be very welcome and appreciated:

Security cameras, book security systems
                Hours of operation
                Staffing issues
                Electronic door security systems
                Costs involved

Essentially what does it take for an academic library building with one main entrance to become a building with three (or more) entrances?

Thank you!

Jennifer Harris
Systems and Teaching Librarian
Mercyhurst College