[Web4lib] CALEA policies?

Bob Duncan duncanr at lafayette.edu
Sat Nov 5 10:47:36 EDT 2011

----- Original Message -----

This is kind of really old news -- CALEA's extension to Internet access came about in 2005, and in the year or two after, it was generally agreed that libraries, as well as most (if not all) academic institutions, are exempt from CALEA (in the sense of having to track or otherwise restrict users).  A good starting point for information on the topic is here: <http://www.educause.edu/Resources/Browse/CALEA/30781>, particularly the link to the ACE document "The Application of CALEA to Higher Education Networks."

Note that some of the info gleaned from the Educause site is out of date, presumably because most institutions that started paying attention in 2005 now consider it a dead issue.

Bob Duncan

Robert E. Duncan
Integrated Technologies Librarian
David Bishop Skillman Library