[Web4lib] CALEA policies?

Cary Gordon listuser at chillco.com
Fri Nov 4 12:13:36 EDT 2011

Do you know where they are getting that information? It sounds like
urban legend, but these days, I guess that anything, no matter how
egregious, is possible.

CALEA is an act that sets rules and guidelines for telecommunications
carriers concerning digital telephone networks. While I can imagine
that a very zealous agent could come to interpret telecommunications
carriers as including libraries, and digital telephone networks as
including public workstations, I think that we would be hearing about
this. First and foremost, I would expect to hear about it from the EFF
<http://eff.org>, one of CALEA's most vocal critics.

Thanks,

Cary

On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 7:06 AM, Sigrid Kelsey <sigridkelsey at gmail.com> wrote:
> Our IT department has informed us that CALEA requires us to ask to see (and
> presumably record names from) our patrons' IDs in order to use our publicly
> accessible computers.
>
> I would like to know what other libraries are doing in order to comply
> with, or remain exempt from complying with CALEA.  I'm especially
> interested in any library who has had legal advice from an attorney
> regarding this, and any official policies.  We've not been doing this since
> CALEA was passed, but now IT wants to enforce it.
>
> We are a tax-funded state university library.  IT owns the approximately 15
> "public" computers, but the only reason they provide the public computers
> in the library is because we ask them to as a publicly funded and
> depository library.  The rest of our more than 250 computers (also owned by
> IT and not the library) require the students to log in with their own
> school id number and so the users are logged that way.
>
> thank you,
> Sigrid Kelsey

Cary Gordon
The Cherry Hill Company