[Web4lib] eBooks

Jesse Ephraim jephraim at roanoketexas.com
Tue Mar 8 17:29:09 EST 2011

Speaking of Whole Foods...

Back in the 90s (when I was still a programmer/developer), I worked for
Viant, a website development company that focused on expensive corporate
websites.  I spent 4 months in San Francisco working on the first Whole
Foods website/online store.  Whole Foods put a couple of million into
the development of it, then threw an extremely expensive "launch party"
to celebrate it.  Soon after, one of the executives at the company left,
and his replacement decided he didn't like the website (we were never
told why).  He scrapped it later that year, and hired another company to
build a new one.  Millions and millions of dollars went down the drain.

You are right about the parking lot issue with B&N.  I see a lot of
people in the local ones, but if they aren't buying as much as they used
to, it doesn't really matter (in terms of profitability).

I'm not really sure what else B&N can do at this point, to be honest.
They have been fighting hard to stay alive, and seem to be willing to
change as necessary, but they still appear to be in trouble.  My bet is
that they are going to have to start shutting down more underperforming
stores.  I suspect that they have overbuilt over the last decade.

Jesse Ephraim

Director, Roanoke Public Library

308 S. Walnut

Roanoke, Texas 76262