[Web4lib] How many virtual servers fit on the head of a pin?

Francis Kayiwa kayiwa at uic.edu
Tue Jun 7 10:09:11 EDT 2011

On Tue, Jun 07, 2011 at 06:54:14AM -0400, Don Hamilton wrote:
> Hello, all.
>
> Has anyone found, or developed, guidelines for how many virtual servers a 'typical' library should/would want to have? I'm trying to strike a balance between 'one server for each app' and 'one server to do it all'
>
> We currently run one four year old server locally to handle the library website. It runs Apache, IIS, Drupal, php, ezproxy, mysql, and mssql servers, plus a variety of open source packages such as mrbs and mediawiki.  Rather than have me upgrade the physical server, campus computing has offered a number of virtual servers.
>
> We're working toward the following production setup:
>
> - one server for all mysql databases
> - one server for apache and drupal, the primary website
> - one server for ezproxy
> - one server for IIS and mssql ( a purchased app and some coldfusion scripts)
> - one server for the rest (mrbs, web collab, et al)
>
> Does this seem reasonable? Thoughts?

I don't see redundancy (perhaps otherwise implied) Depending on on how your workflow is designed I would also recommend having a development environment for all of these.

These two points aside it seems reasonable.

./fxk

> Don (too much of a good thing?) Hamilton
>

> Don Hamilton
> Library Information Systems & Technology Manager
> Wilfrid Laurier University Library
> 75 University Ave W
> Waterloo, Ontario, Canada N2L 3C5
> 519-884-0710x3336
>
> 'I'm expected to be an expert in everything, including things I know nothing about'. Ray Norton

When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary.
	-- Thomas Paine