[Web4lib] Position available: Reference, Instruction, and Government Information

Mark Allan mark.allan at angelo.edu
Wed Jun 1 13:55:24 EDT 2011

Colleagues:

With apologies for cross-posting.

For the newly-minted Librarian who likes to do a bit of everything, do we have an opportunity for you! :-) Additional plus - our brand new Learning Commons and Information Literacy Corner http://www.angelo.edu/services/library/news/jan2011.html#word. To apply, go to http://www.angelo.edu/dept/human_resources/

Job Title: 	LIBRARIAN, Reference & Government Information
Department: 	Library
Salary: 	$41,000
Job Summary 	This is a professional position, responsible for activities associated with library reference services, library instruction, online library tutorials/instruction, and government information and maps acquisition and online accessibility. The position reports to the Head of Library Reference Services.
Duties 	1. Provides reference assistance as assigned and needed, including evening and weekend rotation.
2. Provides instruction and training for students, faculty, and others in the use of library electronic and print resources, U.S. and Texas government information databases and resources, maps, and scholarly internet sources.
3. Develops and maintains general and discipline-specific, online library tutorials.
4. Supervises a Library Assistant and a student assistant.
5. Selects materials available from the Federal Depository Library Program and the Texas State Documents Collection, and maintains the Government Documents collections.
6. Maintains Government Documents web pages.
7. Creates finding-aids associated with the Reference and Government Documents units.
8. Enhances professional development by reading professional publications and literature, and by participating in appropriate professional online discussion groups.
9. Serves on Library and University committees as assigned.
10. Enforces library policies and procedures; addresses problems and emergencies as appropriate.
11. Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: 	- Knowledge of best practices, trends, and standards in reference, library instruction, online information delivery, and government documents.
- Familiarity with applications such as Captivate, Adobe Creative Suite, and/or other instructional design/technology applications is preferred.
- Knowledge of HTML, CSS, and basic web page design is preferred.
- Familiarity with the Voyager Integrated Library System is preferred.
Physical Requirements 	Requires prolonged periods of sitting and standing; periodic walking, bending, pushing/pulling, kneeling, and reaching; medium level manual dexterity required; occasional lifting up to 15 pounds.

Works in a pleasant, adequately-lighted, temperature-controlled environment.
Qualifications 	Master's degree in Library Science or its equivalent from an American Library Association accredited program.
Preferred Qualifications: 	- One year or two years of pre-professional experience working with reference, government documents, library instruction, or educational technology is preferred.
- Supervisory experience is preferred.
Required Applicant Documents: 	Resume
Cover Letter
Other Information:
Posting Date: 	05-16-2011
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Closing Date: 	06-17-2011
Position Number: 	999793
Job Code: 	C5201
Posting Number: 	0000342

Mark

Mark Allan
Head of Library Reference Services/Porter Henderson Library
Angelo State University
Member, Texas Tech University System
ASU Station #11013
San Angelo, TX 76909-1013
Phone: (325) 942-2511   Fax: (325) 942-2198
Mark.Allan at angelo.edu