[Web4lib] Looking for Library or other Non-Profit Web Sites for LIS590LWL students to Re-design Fall 2011

Diane K. Kovacs diane at kovacs.com
Thu Jul 28 21:09:02 EDT 2011

Good morning Colleagues,

I'm teaching LIS590LWL Web Design and Construction for Organizations -
an introduction to Web Design, XHTML, CSS etc. for UIUC GSLIS LEEP again
this Fall semester.

I require each student to work with a 'client' to redesign an existing
Web site for a non-profit organization, preferably* a special, academic,
school, or public library, or library organization.

The course begins August 22 and ends December 7, 2011.

What we are looking for is small scale redesign projects, e.g., one area
of a larger site - or a new design for a special patron group. I really
like to have them work with a real non-profit organization, particularly
with different types of libraries.  Students may also choose the library
they currently work in or a non-profit organization known to them to
work with.   I collect a list of organizations and then students can
choose which they would like to work with.  Usually about 75% of the
projects on our list are chosen by a student.

These are Library School students working through distance learning who
are just beginning with Web Design, XHTML, CSS etc.

What they can do will be some good needs assessment, usability
evaluations, and design planning as well as a draft Web site design
implemented after interviewing you.  You will need to provide any
graphics or av materials that you want to use as my students may or may
not have the ability to create either.  This varies from year to year.
There are sometimes very good graphic artists and sometimes students
with programming skills who take my class and these folks may be
interested in more advanced activities.

I cannot guarantee that any of my students will choose your projects.
Also, some larger scale projects, the students may form teams to work on
them.

I cannot guarantee that my students will have any programming skills
beyond the ability to code in standard xhtml and external CSS.

Students will give you a re-design plan and example pages and work that
you may use or you may reject their re-design plan.  Their grade is not
affected directly by whether you accept their work or not, but by how
well they communicate with you and how well they address your expressed
re-design, usability, and accessibilty needs.

If you would like to be on the list of projects for my students to
consider please email me with the following information:

What I need from you:

1. Contact person(s) with email and telephone numbers (this would be the
'client' that students are expected to interview and interact with
cooperatively to come up with design options)
2. The URL of the current Web site (if there is one - otherwise URL of
the overall site associated with your organization)
3. Brief description of what you would like to have done with the site.
4. A commitment by the contact person(s) to be available by email or
Webchat from the beginning of June through the beginning of August, 2010
to work with my students.  This is critical.

I will respond to you whether your project fits our scope in terms of
time and expertise of students and verify you want to be on the list.

Thank you!
Diane

*Students may work on a commercial Web site and even ask to be paid for
it but I need to look at each project on a site by site basis for approval.

--
--------
Diane K. Kovacs - Web Teacher http://kovacs.com