[Web4lib] Using suffixes for identifying formats

Alnisa Allgood alnisa at nonprofit-tech.org
Wed Jan 19 04:03:46 EST 2011

Not only do search engines, mobile apps and other services/app use the file
extension for identity purpose, but remember these docs will eventually end
up on someone's desktop or laptop computer and the best practice for naming
files on the desktop will also be included.

For practical purposes, the file extension should always be included. It's a
matter of visual identity and also serves as confirmation of expectation. If
I was expecting a PDF, then the .pdf confirms that my PDF reader will open
the file (and to a lesser extent adds validity that the file is in fact a
PDF).

You can view this guideline here:
http://ed.fnal.gov/lincon/tech_web_naming.shtml   Most of the newer
guidelines, assume that people already know how to properly name and share
files. But its a common mistake even on the desktop. You can name your file
"My Very Long Totally Unnecessary File" on your desktop, but if you plan to
share the file via email, ftp, or the web, it's always best to adjust to
"MyVeryLongTotallyUnnecessaryFile.pdf" or
"my-very-long-totally-unnecessary-file.pdf" Those same practices exist as
baselines for the web as well.

Alnisa

Alnisa Allgood
Executive Director