[Web4lib] QR Codes

Memo Cordova memocordova at boisestate.edu
Thu Jan 13 16:25:29 EST 2011

Hi Sharon,

All very good questions! QR code use is a growing trend and one that has, so
far, very slow traction. However, I think that those of us who are
proponents of QR codes and their use in libraries see the connection between
a fast growing smartphone market, and people's nascent awareness of the
potential these phones offer. Once people start exploiting their phone's
capabilities, including the use of scanning software/cameras, it's likely
that they'll want to experiment with all sorts of things, including 2D
codes.

As I mentioned before, I barely started using Bit.ly as a QR code tracking
device for the QR codes I use, so I don't have any hard data. However, since
services that track QR code traffic is also limited--at least, for those
services that are still free--I'm not sure measuring the effectiveness of QR
codes is, well, measurable. Yet.

Personally, I think QR codes and their use will be seen as untapped
potential.

Memo

Memo Cordova
Assistant Professor, Librarian