[Web4lib] Skillset for new librarians

Roy Tennant tennantr at oclc.org
Tue Jan 4 17:54:31 EST 2011

Todd,
I originally sent this message just to you, not to the list. My thinking was
that if someone like you wanted to beef up your general tech skills, a focus
on the technologies I named would, I think, be a good choice and would open
up many opportunities for you. The reason is that those several technologies
act in concert to basically be the next-gen web user interface.

You can build significant enterprise web sites with those three things and
not touch a lick of XML. Also, if you add in XML then you must add in XSLT
and likely another programming language to boot, so before you know it you
have a rather long list of technologies and it will be hard and
time-consuming to become proficient in them all.

That's why I suggested a boiled-down list of highly marketable skills that
appear to have some legs going into the future. Would I argue against
learning XML and XSLT? Of course not, but that points you to a very
different set of potential jobs.
Roy