[Web4lib] Public Library Scanning Setup

Jeffrey Smilko Jeffrey at berks.lib.pa.us
Tue Jan 4 08:45:25 EST 2011

2 Libraries that I currently support have networked scanners.  Fleetwood
Area Public Library uses a HP OfficeJet Pro 8500 and Mifflin Community
Library uses a Epson GT2500.  Both are setup the same way an icon on the
desktop to invoke the scanning software and a folder where the scanned
doc ends up.  The HP is an all-in-one so it must be installed as a
printer on each PC also.  I don't use HP's software just Windows XP scan
wizard I create a shortcut from it (It's in the system32 folder) to the
desktop.  I feel it's simpler, easier to use.  The Epson is a dedicated
scanner with a nic in it.  I think I use Epson's scanning software on
those desktops but not sure its been a while since I set it up.  All
scans go to the a folder on the desktop.  After that they can delete it,
save it to a usb stick, attach it to an email, insert it in a Word doc,
etc....  None of the libraries charge for scanning.

I have a 3rd library with a Konica c203 copier which we are going to
setup so all the patrons PC's can scan using it.  I just didn't get the
chance to set it up yet.

Hope that helps!

Thanks,

Jeffrey P. Smilko