[Web4lib] Skillset for new librarians

Michael Pawlus michael.pawlus at gmail.com
Mon Jan 3 20:50:31 EST 2011

There are a lot of interesting suggestions coming up on this board.

I just finished library school and I am not yet employed in a library
so maybe that says something about how much employers care about
whether new librarians learn these skills or not but....

At University of Sheffield, we took a class where we built a simple
content management system using PHP, CSS, SQL, and a little bit of
JavaScript.  I also took a course on creating a digital archive using
Grenstone that included entering metadata for each object and some
HTML and CSS manipulation (however, Greenstone's own code made some of
these edits more difficult then they had to be so I wouldn't recommend
this program).  We also played around with SecondLife, screencasting
software and distance learning software.

Of all of these, I felt the programming skills were the most useful.
However, I wish we had taken those skills one step farther and applied
them to more powerful programs like Drupal and some of the other more
library-specific programs mentioned already.  I feel that
screencasting and distance learning solutions are becoming more
intuitive all the time and can be learned with just a little bit of
time on one's own but programming and linking these skills to
particular library programs and problems is something that leans
itself more to the structured learning environment one would find at a
university.  In other words, many tech activities like blogging and
screencasting seem to be isolated and skills are not so clearly
transferable or able to be built upon but programing languages (like
all languages) allow you to start off easily and then continue on to
build more and more complex expressions.

In sum, I think a program that teaches how to build a CMS from scratch
like at Sheffield is a good start but then a complimentary course that
shows how you can use those skills to expand and enhance already
powerful open-source projects is equally critical.

This is a very interesting problem though.  I still feel in someways
that library schools have not caught up to real world needs in terms
of preparing students for the tech library jobs that are out there.
In other words, there are entry-level library jobs but for library
jobs on the systems side it seems they want you to come in with a
large skill set to start.

This brings us to the joke relpy earlier that students should enroll
in information systems and then take some librarianship classes.  I
don't think this is far off and in my recently completed dissertation
I found that a large number of the people adding a lot of value to
libraries by enhancing their websites had backgrounds in information
systems and not in librarianship.  So, does library school need to
change and attempt to cram all these new tech skills in amongst the
more traditional courses or do libraries need to hire more IS staff
and then just have the two specilaized groups work better together?
In my small piece of research it seems the latter, so far, is
producing better results.

Michael Pawlus