[Web4lib] Skillset for new librarians

Roy Tennant tennantr at oclc.org
Mon Jan 3 18:26:15 EST 2011

Uh...does everyone realize this is 2011? If we're taking time to teach MS
Office to masters students, then we may as well just pack it in right now.
My kids aren't out of high school yet and they know as much Powerpoint,
Word, etc. as they would need to know to be a librarian. Probably more,
especially given Google Docs.

What they _would_ need, in my opinion, is a firm grounding in some of the
other technologies mentioned. Things like XML and XSLT, HTML5 and CSS3,
basic programming (NOT programming in BASIC!), etc. As for teaching "OPACs"
and "databases," that sounds as almost as anachronistic as teaching MS
Office.

I decided to go to library school in the early 80s. Even then it was
apparent to me that computers would be essential to librarianship, and that
therefore facility with computers would also be essential. I realize that
someone who spends their time putting together story times for kids may not
need to write software, but they still need to be proficient in various
technologies that may make him the best children's librarian around.
Roy