[Web4lib] wordpress hosting for academic libraries

Hammons, James W. JHAMMONS at bsu.edu
Thu Feb 24 09:08:49 EST 2011

Re Hostmonster, I've had several years of experience with them on some volunteer work I do. The hosting is reasonable for my organization's needs, but I did have one excruciating tech support experience. I was having trouble updating a Joomla test instance with SimpleScripts -- something I'd done a dozen times before -- and it took them almost two weeks to ask the right question: turned out I needed my hosting account password to be the same as the MySQL admin password. In the process I learned that HM tech support keeps hosting account passwords in unencrypted format. The tip off was when they asked me to tell them my password when I opened the ticket "to prove I was authorized to contact tech support about the problem."

Jim

James Hammons, MLS
Head of Library Technologies
University Libraries		765-285-8032 (phone)
Ball State University		765-285-1096 (fax)
Muncie, IN 47306		jhammons at bsu.edu
www.bsu.edu/library

The University Libraries provide services that
support student pursuits for academic success
and faculty endeavors for knowledge creation
and classroom instruction.