[Web4lib] [learnrt] Book Review... Blog?

Blatchley, Carolyn cblatchley at ccpa.net
Tue Feb 22 15:15:35 EST 2011

Stephanie and other interested parties,

The best free options I can envision are those you have already
suggested.  The only other free suggestion I have is working
LibraryThing (http://www.librarything.com/) into the mix (or get a
better result by paying for LibraryThing for Libraries if your system
can afford it.) Reviewers would still need to be members with accounts,
but I'll bet it would be easy to stream an RSS feed from their entries
into a single site.   I'm not sure how it would work with having the
reviews pre-screened, but I'm sure there are active users out there who
can talk intelligently about it.

The Evanced product, which was purchased by the PA Commonwealth
Libraries for three years (may or may not be extended; may be purchased
locally) has a book review feature built into it which has worked very
well for our libraries.  It's not a "sexy" look, but it gets the job
done - we have hundreds of adult reviews and over 1000 teen reviews at
just one library (I didn't check the others. Below are two examples
using Evanced with Summer Reading groups, but this could be done in a
non-summer-reading environment, too.)

Adult Summer Reading at Fredricksen Library (Camp Hill, PA)

https://host8.evanced.info/fredricksen/sr/viewreviews.asp?ProgramID=7&Pa
geLangID=1&PreviewMode=&StyleName=&Clear=Y

Teen Summer Reading at Fredricksen Library (Camp Hill, PA)

https://host8.evanced.info/fredricksen/sr/viewreviews.asp?ProgramID=8&Pa
geLangID=1&PreviewMode=&StyleName=&Clear=Y

Another product for purchase that will allow interactive reviews is Next
Good Book through Dear Reader.
http://www.supportlibrary.com/fm/guest.cfm?x=1232   Our library system
has underutilized this particular feature of Dear Reader, but I know
that it does allow people to create accounts and comment on titles, and
reviews can be pre-screened.

Good luck on your search, and feel free to share the final decision.

Carolyn Blatchley

Training Services Coordinator

Cumberland County Library System

19 S West Street, Carlisle, PA 17013