[Web4lib] Academic librarians holding PhDs - seeking participants for a study

Mitchell, Erik mitcheet at wfu.edu
Tue Feb 15 08:11:04 EST 2011

Dear Academic Librarian:

We are writing to request your participation in a study of academic
librarians holding PhD degrees.

ABOUT THIS RESEARCH

====================

We are conducting a qualitative study to understand how the
competencies and interests developed in a doctoral education
contribute to academic librarianship, and how they are supported or
inhibited by academic libraries.  The results will help respond to the
challenge of identifying novel ways to enhance the research and
teaching support at academic libraries.  More details at
https://sites.google.com/site/phdlibrarians/

YOU ARE ELIGIBLE TO PARTICIPATE IF YOU ARE:

(1) currently employed as an academic librarian,

(2) hold an ALA-accredited Master’s degree in Library and Information
Studies, AND

(3) have completed a PhD research degree (or equivalent research
degree) in any field.

If you know someone who meets these characteristics, please forward
this message on.

WHAT WILL HAPPEN IN THIS STUDY?

===============================

You will complete a qualitative survey.  This means that you will
write responses to open-ended questions about your perceptions on the
value of a doctoral education in academic librarianship and how
academic libraries leverage your doctoral competencies and interests.

IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO PARTICIPATE

===============================

This is great.  Please visit the online survey at:

http://qtrial.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_0AKdGGF43y2b1is

PARTICIPANT RIGHTS

===================

There is no obligation to participate in this study.  If you agree to
participate, your privacy will be protected at all times.  There are
no anticipated risks or discomfort involved, and you may decide to end
your participation at any time.  We have a consent form that explains
your involvement, our research, and our responsibilities in protecting
your privacy.

This study has been approved by the Institutional Review Board at Wake
Forest University in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, for compliance
with ethical principles and regulatory requirements (#IRB00015580).
If you have questions about this, you may contact the Office of
Research & Sponsored Programs at 336-758-5888.

Thank you for your consideration.  If you have any questions about our
study please contact any member of our research team.

Sincerely,

Jeffery Loo, MLIS MSc PhD

Librarian, University of California, Berkeley

jloo at berkeley.edu

Erik Mitchell, MLIS PhD

Librarian, Wake Forest University

mitcheet at wfu.edu

Susan Rathbun-Grubb, MAT MSLS PhD

Assistant Professor, School of Library and Information Science,
University of South Carolina

srathbun at mailbox.sc.edu