[Web4lib] web hosting in the cloud

Ross Singer rossfsinger at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 10:04:22 EST 2011

I guess I have a few questions here:

1) why do you need a lot of hardware for PHP and MySQL?

2) why do you feel you need 3 VPSes?  It doesn't seem like you're
doing anything that could just as easily be done with one - just use
different Apache ports and database names

3) how much PHP/database tuning do you really foresee?

I get the desire to move to a more stable network, but there are other
considerations: who will administer and back up your VPS?  Will you
have any sensitive (for instance, personal) information in your hosted
MySQL db?  If the campus network is so flaky, isn't it just as likely
that you won't be able to get to the library sites, too?

It seems perhaps as worthwhile to focus on fixing the campus
networking problems as it would be to move into the cloud.

-Ross.