Kiosk browsers - Caution using "SteadyState"

Computerlab Picton computerlab at PECLIBRARY.ORG
Fri Dec 9 10:20:34 EST 2011

On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 8:18 AM, Dean Baumeister <dbaumeister at mhl.org> wrote:
> I haven't tried it, but I saw recently where Microsoft guru Mark Minasi has released "Steadier State"
> http://www.minasi.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=37953

Thanks for the tip. In the blog it says:
"The Windows Boot Manager then presents two options:
Windows 7, Roll Back Windows"

If this could not be over ridden, or at least defaulted, then this
might be an issues as I need "patron proof, i.e. it just works with no
prompts.

I have been burned in the past with Microsoft "unsupported" utilities,
they either do not work as advertised or stop working with new
versions (next year's deploys will be Windows 8 - just finally
finishing XP to 7 :-\

That's what I love about Deep Freeze: built your PC, freeze, turn it
on (it has 2 settings, on and off) and changes to the computer go away
when you boot. I give patron accounts admin rights so they can consume
any content they want, even install programs they need (we don't
censor) - and a reboot cleans it all up, without any other
intervention.

However, I  found that Faronics has dropped "non profit" pricing and
copies of deep freeze (10-24 quantity) have gone up to $36 CDN. I am
currently evaluating this product

     http://www.fortresgrand.com/products/cls/cls.htm   -  50 CPU
License $583.50  - $11.67 / copy

for this years deployments (end of budget year March).

Eric Pierce
B.Tech., MCP, A+, Server+, Network+, Internet+, Linux+, CTT+
IT Coordinator
County of Prince Edward
Public Library and Archives
www.peclibrary.org