Kiosk browsers - Caution using "SteadyState"

Computerlab Picton computerlab at PECLIBRARY.ORG
Thu Dec 8 14:33:07 EST 2011

> We use Windows SteadyState (a free Microsoft product) on Windows XP...

Just be aware that steady state is NOT supported on Windows 7, see:
     http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprosecurity/thread/0110d93c-eea5-4da9-9eea-d97ff88bff0e

In an effort to save money, we used this for a while on our patron
computers, but it was a lot of trouble to work with and a local teen
hacked into it in about 10 minutes. I have returned to buying a
deepfreeze standard license with every new computer, a great product
IMHO, see:
     http://www.faronics.com/standard/deep-freeze-2/

Also note that although technical support for XP does not end until
early 2014, there is already software that it will not run (for
example, Internet Explorer 9) and Gartner recommends being completely
off of it by the end of 2012:
      http://ppgrainbow.deviantart.com/journal/Eliminate-Windows-XP-by-the-end-of-2012-214227996

Also, I am sure that most of you are using TechSoup to get discount
software, this has saved us a lot of money:
     http://home.techsoup.org/pages/default.aspx

Thanks for the useful information on this list.

Eric Pierce
B.Tech., MCP, A+, Server+, Network+, Internet+, Linux+, CTT+
IT Coordinator
County of Prince Edward
Public Library and Archives
www.peclibrary.org