[lita-l] Using Sharepoint as a CMS/public-facing site

Jean Graef jean.graef at MONTAGUE.COM
Thu Dec 8 11:00:20 EST 2011

Librarians following this thread might be interested in our article "What librarians should know about SharePoint." See http://www.montague.com/review/sharepointlibrarians.html

Jean Graef
The Montague Institute

From: Web technologies in libraries [mailto:WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU] On Behalf Of miles stauffer
Sent: Thursday, December 08, 2011 10:51 AM
To: WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU
Subject: Re: [WEB4LIB] [lita-l] Using Sharepoint as a CMS/public-facing site

Hi Everyone,

I have had a very positive experience with SharePoint, especially within the library environment. I few years ago a wrote a small article for MS about this same topic:

http://sharepoint.microsoft.com/blogs/GetThePoint/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=242

My key takeaways from this process:

1) The Business Data Catalog is amazing. This tool is revolutionary to me. Essentially you can create a custom SQL or web services query to index your library data and seamlessly integrate the resources into your SharePoint instance.

2) If you want to do more than just basic integration you will need a C# developer. There is a portal editor which is quite interesting as well.

miles stauffer