Kiosk browsers

Paul Butler (pbutler3) pbutler3 at UMW.EDU
Thu Dec 8 09:41:41 EST 2011

Howdy,

We use Windows SteadyState (a free Microsoft product) on Windows XP machines with a few group policy tweaks and have been happy with the results.

Basically the machine auto logs in as a limited account with IE in full screen mode defaulting to the library website - so no menu bar, favorites bar, or address bar shown.  Through SteadyState I have a 30 minute timer that is displayed to the user that automatically reboots the machine and logs back into the limited account.  This wipes away and changes a previous user may have made.

Someone smart could close the browser, but I have the desktop shortcut to IE setup to always open up in Kiosk mode. I removed access to all other programs and OS features with SteadyState.  Folks could find a way to navigate off of our website, but with the timer, lack of Flash, and lack of a chair, we have yet to see this happen in the 7 months we have had this setup deployed.  We also use signage to let users know how machines are meant to be used.

We actually use SteadyState for all our Guest Access (non-university domain users) and Govt Docs computers and the response from users and staff has been overwhelmingly positive.

Cheers, Paul
Paul R Butler
Assistant Systems Librarian
Simpson Library