Kiosk browsers

Mitchell, Michael Michael.Mitchell at BRAZOSPORT.EDU
Thu Dec 8 09:02:48 EST 2011

Given the proliferation of online resources most of us are adding to our catalogs (I've added almost a thousand Web sites to our catalog plus many online government reports, etc.), it seems that social engineering would be a better approach to this. Maybe even just something as simple as signage limiting time on the computers. Most people won't really want to stand at a kiosk for long anyway if they have other easily accessible and more comfortable options.

Michael Mitchell
Technical Services Librarian
Brazosport College
Lake Jackson, TX
Michael.mitchell at brazosport.edu

From: Web technologies in libraries [mailto:WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU] On Behalf Of Liebhardt, John T.
Sent: Thursday, December 08, 2011 7:44 AM
To: WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU
Subject: [WEB4LIB] Kiosk browsers

Hello all,

We are a medium-sized academic library looking for a kiosk browser that would allow patrons to do some quick searches on the catalog and databases, but keep them from loitering on these stand-up machines watching You Tube videos, checking Facebook, etc. (We have an information commons where they can research and study.)

We built an in-house version that does a pretty good job keeping people from leaving the Library website, but the browser is clunky and lacks usability.

For those using Kiosk browsers, what did you purchase? How is it working for you?

Thanks,

John

John Liebhardt
Systems Librarian