Mobile site stats

Erin R White/FS/VCU erwhite at VCU.EDU
Fri Dec 2 11:53:37 EST 2011

Great evidence that mobile usage will only continue to rise. Mobile is not
going away - in fact, it's the norm in some countries and will soon be the
norm in the US.

We've had increasing traffic to our mobile site since it launched almost 2
years ago. From our stats folks are mostly interested in in hours, finding
a computer, and study room reservations, though I think a catalog search
and other research tools are growing in popularity.

Beyond a whole separate mobile catalog search it may be useful to look
into responsive design through CSS, which allows a web design to adapt
depending on the device's screen size
http://www.alistapart.com/articles/responsive-web-design/ and could be a
stop-gap measure for an otherwise non-mobile-friendly ILS.

>From my talks with folks outside of libraries it sounds like everybody's
equally clueless about which direction to go with mobile (apps or
websites? separate mobile site or responsive design?), which I find
comforting. The one thing we can all agree on is that we need to pay
attention and act now in whatever ways we can.

--
Erin White
Web Systems Librarian, VCU Libraries

From:   Carol Hassler <Carol.Hassler at WICOURTS.GOV>
To:     WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU
Date:   12/02/2011 11:37 AM
Subject:        Re: [WEB4LIB] Mobile site stats
Sent by:        Web technologies in libraries <WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU>

>From our Google analytics results, we have seen a massive increase in
mobile usage. It's risen from around 20 hits per day in early 2010 to
about 200 hits per day now. It's still a small percentage of total visits
to our site but it's growing like wildfire.

Our top OS/devices are Android, iPhone, iPad, iPod, and Blackberry.

Carol

Carol Hassler
Webmaster / Cataloger
Wisconsin State Law Library
(608) 261-7558
http://wilawlibrary.gov/
>>> Cary Gordon <listuser at CHILLCO.COM> 12/2/2011 10:11 AM >>>
We host Drupal sites mostly for smaller public libraries. I have seen
mobile user agent numbers for some of those libraries running in
double digits.

To put it another way, every library we host that uses Google
Analytics is asking for a mobile site.

I wish that LJ would redo this now almost 2 year old study and
consider user agents, and not just use of existing mobile specific
services.

Cary

http://www.libraryjournal.com/lj/ljinprintcurrentissue/886987-403/gone_mobile_mobile_libraries_survey.html.csp

> ?
>
> There is a "reported percentage of total usage coming from mobile
> access" table that might be useful. The main problem is that most
> libraries are not showing very high usage, mean is about 5% for both
> academic and public libraries. Though we can debate what "high" means
> in absolute terms?
>

> Aaron
>
> On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 10:47 PM, Kristi Bryant <kbryant at wellstown.org>
wrote:
>> I wish I had data to share, but I wish you luck!  I’m trying to
convince
>> higher level staff of the need to create a mobile III catalog as well
and
>> feel your pain!
>>

>> Best wishes!
>>

>> Kristi Bryant
>>
>> Reference and Technology Librarian
>>
>> Wells Public Library
>>
>> Wells, Maine  04090
>>
>> 207-646-8181 ext. 205
>>
>> e-mail:  kbryant at wellstown.org
>>
>> web:  www.wellstown.org
>>

>> "Google can bring you back 100,000 answers, a librarian can bring you
back
>> the right one."  Neil Gaiman

IT
>> departments to justify why it is we, the library, need our own mobile
>> website. We’re planning on using LibraryAnywhere, as I’ve been on a
trial
>> for about a month now and think it does everything we need it to do
(and at
>> a reasonable price!). After I’d built the initial site, our director
>> mentioned it to the head of IT, who exclaimed that they are already
working
>> on a college site.
>>

>> In any case, we’re meeting with these folks next week to show what I’ve
>> built with the software, and explain why the library is different from
the
>> rest of campus (i.e., we’re a III library who’s not going to pay for
AirPAC,

--
Cary Gordon
The Cherry Hill Company