[Web4lib] show a little love for libraries at SXSW!

Block, Carson CBlock at poudrelibraries.org
Wed Aug 31 19:50:16 EDT 2011

**apologies for cross-posting**

Hi Folks!

Do you want spread a little library love to the geeks at the South by Southwest (SXSW) interactive festival?  If so - please vote for a library program before the end of the day - Friday, September 2!

As part of my adventures this year, I attended SXSWi and came away totally inspired - but more than a little worried.  The people I talked to there - who are creating our digital present and future - expressed a deep affection for libraries but didn't think we were particularly relevant.  Yikes!

Of course, libraries *are* particularly relevant - so I and another colleague from Colorado - Oliver Sanidas --  were inspired to submit a library program for consideration.   There are just a handful of library programs submitted to SXSWi (you can see them at http://panelpicker.sxsw.com/ideas/index/10/name:library ), and if you agree that the tech community gathering at SXSWi each year needs learn more about libraries, I encourage you to vote!   There are some really good library programs that would educate and inspire this important group of people to see the library in a whole new light.   You will have to register on the site to vote (sorry) but I hope it's not too much of an inconvenience - after you register and get the confirmation email, you can simply copy the URL above into your browser to see the library programs and vote.

The program I submitted is called "The Great Library Swindle - Your Rights Are at Risk"  -- and Ollie's program is called "The library died and no one noticed" but don't feel any obligation.  Take a look, and hit the "thumbs up" on any program that you think would be worthy - there are some good ones there!

Thanks!

Carson Block
IT Director
Poudre River Public Library District