[Web4lib] What's the story behind the story of http://www.library-system.info/

Roy Tennant tennantr at oclc.org
Wed Aug 10 10:29:58 EDT 2011

This is an all-too-common instance of Google Adsense incentivizing the
creation of spam web sites:

<http://blog.libraryjournal.com/tennantdigitallibraries/2011/01/04/how-googl
e-is-creating-a-web-of-spam/>

These faux web sites hoover up content from elsewhere and wrap ads around
it, hoping people will click on the ads. And mostly they do, at least enough
to make it worth someone's while. If you have a large enough stable of these
you can make a living, especially in Astrakhan[1].
Roy

[1]
http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_countries_result.jsp?country1=R
ussia&country2=United+States