[Web4lib] CSS float/clear problem

VanderHart, Robert Robert.VanderHart at umassmed.edu
Fri Oct 29 12:30:01 EDT 2010

Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions on what has been a particularly vexing issue for me.

Several people suggested removing the clear span from the markup, which almost works, but the tabs then drop inside of the box.

Thomas's suggestion about absolute positioning of the left bar appears to offer the best cross-browser solution, as seen here:

http://library.umassmed.edu/~rvanderh/newsite4/index3.cfm

The only issue is that the footer doesn't clear the left bar until the browser window is contracted enough to push the main content down.  I'm wondering, what's the best solution to deal with that issue?  At this point I can't say whether the center content area will have enough content to push the footer down far enough to clear the left bar.  Anyway, that seems like a haphazard fix.

Thanks again!

Bob

--
Robert J. Vander Hart
Electronic Resources Librarian | Lamar Soutter Library
508-856-3290 | Robert.VanderHart at umassmed.edu
http://library.umassmed.edu | LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/robertvanderhart