[Web4lib] Kindle Lending

Brian Gray mindspiral at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 08:12:15 EDT 2010

It terms of the privacy issue I think the difference between government
trying to get library records versus library's promoting personal purchase
of e-book readers is that the personal level of privacy decision remains
with the individual. In the first case, libraries said to the patrons we
will not share, and in most cases, we do not keep your reading history or
other information, and than later on outside player came along to try to
change that without consumers being able to make the decision for themselves
to participate. In e-reader purchases, the consumer know what they are
getting into up front and are making that personal decision to participate.
The argument is no different than the personal decision one must make when
signing up for a website, a social network, a credit card, etc. in which
information is collected and in some cases shared about the consumer. The
individual makes the decision how much information and/or to actually
participate.

Brian Gray
mindspiral at gmail.com
bcg8 at case.edu