[Web4lib] Enhanced "e-book" service?!

Peter Murray peter.murray at lyrasis.org
Mon Oct 11 09:20:04 EDT 2010

On Oct 10, 2010, at 4:52 PM, Anders Ericson wrote:

> Any libraries into this?
> http://youtu.be/Q95ywcuGuTM

The video is a demonstration of how to use a USB barcode reader to scan ISBN barcodes on the back of books to add them to "My Library" in Google Books.

Is your question whether any libraries are allowing patrons to build a "My Library" list or whether libraries are offering barcode readers to patrons to try this functionality?

To answer the former, I'm not aware of any libraries that are offering this kind of functionality.  Scanning ISBNs to build up a list of books is a feature offered by LibraryThing and (I think) Goodreads.

To answer the latter, I'm also not aware of any libraries that are lending out barcode scanners, but it would be a pretty simple thing to do.  As the video mentioned, a USB barcode reader looks just like a keyboard to the computer, so you don't need special applications or drivers to use one.

Peter
--
Peter Murray         Peter.Murray at lyrasis.org        tel:+1-678-235-2955
Assistant Director                                http://dltj.org/about/