[Web4lib] Greenstone 3 For Dummy [Cont.]

Michael Schofield mschofield at neflin.org
Mon Nov 22 18:32:00 EST 2010

For those of you with experience with Greenstone--especially 3, although I'm
aware that it's not necessarily a stable build--I have a few newbie
questions. I am not very familiar with servers, but I have been tasked with
not only building a GDL collection, but with configuring the server as well.
So, right now, I am setting one up on a virtual machine to just get
acquainted.

Host Machine: Windows 7 64-bit | VM: Ubuntu 10.10 64-bit

Q1. This is probably silly, but in the GDL3 package there are two options:
gateway and localsite. I understand that Apache Tomcat is set up to launch
the localsite in a web server (as http://localhost:8080/greenstone/library),
but how do I make it visible to machines on an external network? i.e.: get
it online. Is that what Gateway is for? Greenstone3 manuals make little if
any mention of the gateway option, so I sort of assumed that it was a
carry-over from Greenstone 2.

Obviously, I don't really know what I'm doing. So, the real question is, How
do I get my Greenstone 3 library online?

-- actually, let me leave it at that question. I have a few more, but I
think I can figure it out if I just answer the first, which is primarily a
server question - I think.

Thanks for your patience,

Michael