[Web4lib] Kindle lending

Laura Krier laura.krier at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 11:42:25 EST 2010

Tim asks what form libraries' advocacy for better ebook models would
look like. I think the answer is in his very next paragraph: Libraries
used to be able to buy something at the same rate as everyone else and
lend to different people until it falls apart. And I think we need to
fight, legally, socially, and morally, for that same right with
ebooks.

One way into that fight, I think, is to follow Google's lead. I think
we should start digitizing the books in our collections, and begin to
create regional, consortial digital libraries. We can't wait for
permission from publishers, we have to start the work and figure out
the details. We can perhaps create a collective, national fund to pay
publishers a "second-copy fee" for each book we digitize, and create
"lending" models for these digital copies that mimic existing models.
I think libraries do have some solid ground to stand in in a legal
fight, but we won't get anything if we don't start working for it. If
publishers won't create it for us, we create it ourselves.

I agree, if libraries are going to start influencing the ebook market,
we need to start doing it soon, instead of sitting here having the
same debates about ebooks over and over again on listservs and at
conferences.

I also agree that libraries should stop lending Kindles and Nooks. I
don't think that's the way forward, because it's not the devices we
need to be focusing on, but the content, and the formats. I recently
read about some software that allows any ebook format to be read on a
Kindle (Calibre ebook management: http://calibre-ebook.com/). We
should be teaching workshops on using that software, and other things
like it, to open up devices to more open formats. We should be pushing
ebook reader manufacturers to use open formats like epub. I actually
really love Tim's idea for a "library friendly" logo, and a movement
to push open formats and lending ability socially. Make it a moral
issue: That can have a huge effect on a market.

I guess my only point is that while we sit around complaining about
the loss of library rights in the move to digital publishing, we're
letting our role shrink and shrink, instead of trying to think of ways
to keep ourselves relevant, and trying to envision a workable future
in an ebook environment. We can continue to emphasize print, but I
don't think that's going to help us, not really. I think we need to
stop talking and worrying and start doing something, and I continue to
think that our best way forward is to start digitizing our own
materials.

But that's just my $0.02 and I can't really just start going out into
our stacks and doing this on my own. We need directors and consortium
boards and councils to start these projects. Or we need to accept that
our role is going to be completely different once ebook readers are
more widely held and used among our patrons. Because they will be.

Laura