[Web4lib] Kindle lending

Robert L. Balliot rballiot at oceanstatelibrarian.com
Tue Nov 2 15:20:28 EDT 2010

If this fate can befall these truly notable American examples of journalism, librarians should feel threatened:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/11/01/business/main7011590.shtml  :
"trying to adapt to technology that has driven more readers and advertisers away from print to less expensive or even free alternatives on the Internet."

All fun aside, the issues facing libraries are the same issues faced by for-profit information models.  However, each of those is competing for market share with each other.  Libraries are generally not competing and instead are collaborative.  So, applying lessons learned from the much more reactive for-profit sector to a collaborative environment *should* offer libraries a huge advantage.

Robert L. Balliot
Skype: RBalliot
Bristol, Rhode Island
http://oceanstatelibrarian.com/contact.htm