[Web4lib] Windows 7 and Public Computers

Ann Johnston ajohnsto at olivet.edu
Thu May 20 19:49:03 EDT 2010

Has anyone had experience with installing Voyager with Windows 7?
Thanks

Mrs. Ann Johnston
Library Information Technology Assistant
Olivet Nazarene University
815-939-5061

Exodus 14:13, "But Moses said to the people,
"Do not fear! Stand by and see the salvation of the LORD
which He will accomplish for you today;
for the Egyptians whom you have seen today,
you will never see them again forever."

Exodus 14:14, "The LORD will fight for you
while you keep silent."

This message is from the Library IT Office at Olivet Nazarene University and is intended only for the recipient to whom it is addressed.  This message and attachments may contain confidential or privileged information (including FERPA-protected information) and are intended solely for the use of the recipient noted above. Please do not share or forward this e-mail without the permission of the sender.If you are not the proper addressee, please do not review, disclose, copy, distribute or use the contents of this message; please destroy the message immediately and notify me.
>>> Dave McLaughlin  05/20/10 11:55 AM >>>
Our techs downloaded the Ultimate Boot Disk for Windows, which includes a
program called XML Image. They create an image with XML Image, can put their
image on an external hard drive, then use the boot disk to copy that image
from the external hard drive onto whatever machine they want it on. I can
get more info from them if anyone's interested.

Thanks,
Dave

On 5/20/10 10:27 AM, "Derrick Tennant"  wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Since we are all happy that Microsoft and Windows 7 have finally dropped
> support for that raggedy SteadyState software that nobody liked, what is
> everyone using in it's place?
>
> We've been spoiled by not having to pay for DeepFreeze or any of it's
> companions, so I'm wanting to try and stick with a free (as in beer)
> alternative.
>
> I tried for days to get local mandatory profiles (Our public computers
> aren't on a domain) working for me in 7, but I failed every time one way or
> another.
>
> The only idea I've had so far is to zip up the c:\users\[public profile]
> directory, with security and permissions, and to unzip it via login and
> startup scripts.  In _my_ testing, this seems to have worked to stop most of
> the changes, but not always everything.  I've got a few machines I just
> installed for the public that I'm waiting to see how bad they get mangled
> after a week or two.
>
> Other than staying with XP/Vista, what is everyone else doing to secure
> their Windows 7 public computers?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Derrick Tennant
> Linton Public Library/Bloomfield-Eastern Greene County Public Library

Dave McLaughlin
Web Services Manager
Harford County Public Library
1221-A Brass Mill Road