[Web4lib] libraries with a presence on Facebook

Annie Smith SMITHAN at uvu.edu
Tue May 11 12:44:03 EDT 2010

ListServ Members,

The Utah Valley University Library has been on Facebook since July 2008 (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Orem-UT/Utah-Valley-University-Library/16720928004?ref=ts). We primarily use it to announce events in the Library, as well as posts about library services and policies. We have over 1,400 fans, which sounds like a lot until you compare it to our enrollment (~25,000). We do get feedback from our fans but, again, we don't hear from everyone.

The page is updated by myself and by the manager of our Information Commons. I wouldn't consider it a raging success, but I do consider it a vital part of the Library's web presence and outreach/advertising efforts. The rewards far outweigh the efforts that go into the page. It only takes us a few minuted every other day to update the page. Since we have a lot of talented people working on events and projects for the Library, we almost always have something to post and share.

We also have a twitter feed (http://twitter.com/uvulib) were we announce events, but it is not as successful as our Facebook page.

Annie Smith, MLS
Reference and Instruction Librarian
Utah Valley University Library
801-863-8752
smithan at uvu.edu

>>> Linda Babli <lbabli at mywinterhaven.com> 5/10/2010 11:38 AM >>>
We have been on Facebook for about 2 months. However, I accidently created it as a business page instead of a government page. I just created the gov page and will shut down the bus page as soon as all "friends" (a whole 35) have moved over.
Linda

Linda Babli, Reference & Technology Librarian
Winter Haven Public Library
325 Avenue A, NW, Winter Haven, Florida 33881
863-291-5880
mailto://lbabli@mywinterhaven.com
http://whpl.mywinterhaven.com

Message: 3