[Web4lib] Outsourcing in the Ivy League

Robert L. Balliot rballiot at oceanstatelibrarian.com
Sun May 9 13:54:39 EDT 2010

KAREN MCANINCH, who I assume had a hand in setting up the fact sheet and the
FB page represents the SEIU which represents the door guards and the rest of
the support staff.  The SEIU basically only represent those who they are
paid to represent.  The plight of the Librarians is related and to their
benefit to bring up. None of the librarians are covered under the SEIU
contract.  Nor do they have tenure - except, I think, the Library Director.
It is sort of an at-will academic librarian nether world.

I know of three librarians within reference services that opted for early
retirement. It is a huge intellectual loss to the University.

Robert L. Balliot

Skype: RBalliot

Bristol, Rhode Island

http://oceanstatelibrarian.com/contact.htm