[Web4lib] Key Takeaways for Libraries from FCC National Broadband Plan

amysonnie amysonnie at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 18 17:20:40 EDT 2010

Key Takeaways for Libraries from FCC National Broadband Plan
VISIT
http://bannedlibrarian.wordpress.com/2010/03/18/key-takeaways-for-libraries-
from-fcc-national-broadband-plan/

excerpt:
³The Broadband Plan was shaped by input from all corners of the U.S.; yet,
it was a broad grassroots effort that assured rural and Indigenous
communities, people of color, low-income residents and small businesses were
heard. These groups collected stories from digital "haves and have-nots,"
met with FCC Commissioners, hosted teach-ins, and garnered media attention
to educate the public.

There are a number of outstanding issues and next steps to ensure this plan
is implemented. Libraries should not miss the opportunity to partner with
these community-based groups and localize our policy  advocacy work. Our
local communities will be better served for it. One step in this direction:
yesterday the California Library Association's (CLA) Intellectual Freedom
Committee signed the grassroots Digital Inclusion Pledge
<http://centerformediajustice.org/2010/01/28/give-every-voice-a-fighting-cha
nce-become-a-digital-inclusion-champion-take-the-pledge-today-support-full-b
roadband-access-and-adoption-and-defend-an-open-internet/> . Representing
3,000 members in California, CLA joined dozens of other state and local
groups. I encourage other local libraries and associations to do so as
well.²

READ MORE: