[Web4lib] Web4lib: Wikipedia

Tim Spalding tim at librarything.com
Wed Mar 17 13:39:54 EDT 2010

I think the focus on Britannica is unfortunately. Britannica is not,
actually, a very good encyclopedia. It's a shadow of what it was a
century ago, when the 11th edition came out.

The "action" has long shifted to secondary sources within various
field. For example, no student should be reading Britannica for
articles on ancient history if they have access to the Oxford
Classical Dictionary of the New Pauly. Those are scholarly tools, used
at ever level of the field. Britannica is for school children. :)

Tim

Check out my library at http://www.librarything.com/profile/timspalding