[Web4lib] Wikipedia

Shannon librariansrawk at gmail.com
Wed Mar 17 12:01:28 EDT 2010

I love Wikipedia (for many of the reasons in the previous message), and have
even contributed to it.  But, as an instruction librarian at a university,
it's my responsibility to educate my students about the strengths and
weaknesses of Wikipedia.  This is an excerpt from a handout I made for my
students at Pace University:

*What’s wrong with Wikipedia?*

Nothing, if used with caution.  Wikipedia, like Britannica or any other
general encyclopedia is, at its best, a tertiary source.  Notice that, in
your syllabus, the list of sources that your professor has given as
acceptable for your research papers does not include tertiary sources.  College
and graduate-level research may start with a tertiary source, in the
exploration and background research stage.  Those tertiary sources may lead
you to quality secondary sources, but you should never quote Wikipedia (or
any other tertiary source) directly if there is a secondary source with that
same information.  Hunt down those secondary sources!  We librarians will
help you do it!

Although the Wikipedia community does a pretty good job of flagging
potentially incorrect or biased information, you never know if a flawed or
biased article was added right before you looked at it and hasn’t yet been
edited or flagged by someone in the Wikipedia community.

Another important aspect of scholarly research is the idea of Authority--the
credentials or level of expertise of the person you are quoting.  Wikipedia
content may be excellent, but Wikipedia does not require any credentials for
its contributors.  Keep in mind that the author of your favorite Wikipedia
article may be a top scholar in the field, or may be in middle school.
 Which is fine when reading for pleasure, but not fine for quoting in your
college level research.

And if you don’t take my word for it, ask Wikipedia:

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Academic_use*<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Academic_use>
**

or Stephen Colbert:

*