[Web4lib] #Ask4stuff via twitter from WorldCat

Wilfred Drew DrewW at tc3.edu
Thu Jun 24 11:11:43 EDT 2010

I just wrote the blog post below about OCLC Innovation Lab's new service for using Twitter to search WorldCat.  Enjoy!

Wilfred (Bill) Drew, M.S., B.S., A.S.
Assistant Professor
Librarian, Systems and Tech Services
Strengths: Ideation, Input, Learner, Command, Analytical
E-mail: dreww at tc3.edu<mailto:dreww at tc3.edu>
Follow the library: http://twitter.com/TC3Library
PPlease consider the environment before printing this e-mail or document.

===================================================================================================================

Today OCLC Innovation Lab announced a new trial service, #Ask4Stuff<http://community.oclc.org/cooperative/2010/06/sometimes-the-internet-is-just-not-big-enough-for-me.html> . It is a very simple tool for using twitter to find "stuff" within WorldCat. Here are instructions on using provided by OCLC:
#Ask4Stuff is a new, Twitter-based service that returns a WorldCat search when you send a tweet with the tag #Ask4Stuff.  So if you send the following tweet:
#Ask4Stuff lake erie shipwreck
You'll get a tweet back that says something like:
@YOURNAME A few things about lake erie shipwreck in #Ask4Stuff, check out http://is.gd/cY7gi
Where the link then takes you to the WorldCat.org search result for "lake erie shipwreck."
You can even localize the result to a WorldCat Local instance by including the Local library name as another hash tag.

Example:

#Ask4Stuff #OSU lake erie shipwreck

I have been playing with it and find it quite easy to use.  Here are some examples:

I send "#ask4stuff #TC3 au: hemingway, ernest" via Twitter and get the following back:
Ask4Stuff @BillDrew4 A wide and varied collection of au: hemingway, ernest in #Ask4Stuff at #TC3, look here: http://purl.org/wct/418

The result is a list of works by Ernest Hemingway including books and magazine articles in the TC3 version of WorldCat Local.

You can use other search strategies as well. Here is one for a title search of Where the Wild Things Are within TC3 WorldCat Local:
#ask4stuff #TC3 ti:where the wild things are
The resulting reply gives you a rich set of results:
Ask4Stuff @BillDrew4 Not a bad collection of ti:where the wild things are in #Ask4Stuff at #TC3, check out http://is.gd/d27ZW
Phrase searching works quite well, too.  Here is one I did:
#ask4stuff "not just cows"
Here are the results:
Ask4Stuff @BillDrew4 We found something on "not just cows" in #Ask4Stuff, check out http://is.gd/d28vZ
Many may ask,"Why do this?"  This may be useful. it is outside the box. It also give you a way to do quick searches and share the results with others via Twitter.  OCLC Innovation Lab is to be commended for this effort. Innovative and fun to use!!
[http://img.zemanta.com/pixy.gif?x-id=6114faa7-51eb-8639-a1f0-6fe7b678f855]

OCLC<http://technorati.com/tag/OCLC>, OCLC Innovation Lab<http://technorati.com/tag/OCLC%20Innovation%20Lab>, Twitter<http://technorati.com/tag/Twitter>, Ask4Stuff<http://technorati.com/tag/Ask4Stuff>, Innovation<http://technorati.com/tag/Innovation>, Libraries<http://technorati.com/tag/Libraries>