[Web4lib] Request for info: Libraries that are circulatinge-book readers

Robert Balliot rballiot at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 10:38:34 EDT 2010

That sounds like a great idea.  My concern about netbooks would be the cost
of maintenance.  A netbook is certainly much more versatile right off the
bat. However, that same versatility means they are much more susceptible to
hacking / misuse / file corruption.  I think you want loaned out devices /
media to be somewhat more self-sustaining and fool-proof.  I don't think I
ever got a call from someone who did not know how to open a book.

Although the vetted clientele at places such as the University of
Virginia might be inclined towards
tom-foolery<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Virginia>, the
fool-proof concern is especially applicable to public libraries.

R. Balliot
http://oceanstatelibrarian.com