[Web4lib] Wireless Network Security

Trista Lumpkin tristanl13 at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 12 14:15:52 EDT 2010

Hi,

I am the director of a very small, very rural library. We have a wifi signal that we currently have password protected. In lieu of the wifi, we give laptop users an ethernet cable to plug into outlets that are throughout the library. Unfortunately, I have found that many laptops have security that blocks this network from access the internet therefore making it useless. I would like to open up our wifi signal for public use. The reason that it is not currently open is because previously (before I worked here) they had someone logging onto the network and using up all the bandwidth and shutting the system down. I would like suggestions and/or advice on how to open the wireless network up and maintain the security of our system. We have two modems, so I believe we can keep our staff computers unavailable (they are on their own modem), but I don't want to compromise our public system either. Any and all response are appreciated!! Please email me off line tristanl13 at hotmail.com

Thank you for your time,

Trista Smith

Director

Darby Public Library