[Web4lib] pcs running more slowly as time passes

David Kane dkane at wit.ie
Thu Jun 10 07:38:40 EDT 2010

Hi John,

Yes it is strange how that happens, isn't it?

My only suggestion is that you try defragmenting the hard drives on the
workstations.  Also free up space on them by deleting old stuff.

Fragmented files cause the hard drive to work harder jumping between the
fragments of the file.  This is sometimes known as 'thrashing'.  The fuller
a disk gets, the more likely files are to be stored in a fragmented way.
 Defragmenting them can help with speed because it removes all unecessary
movements from the hard drive, and makes it last longer.

Try the scandisk utility also.  Defragment and Scandisk are standard on all
Windows operating systems.

David.