[Web4lib] Event mark-up

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Sat Jun 5 21:12:55 EDT 2010

In scanning and proofreading old texts, the same theatre
show in Stockholm on Wednesday January 20, 1836, was covered

a) in a book on the history of this theatre,
published in 1925 (89 years after the show),
http://sv.wikisource.org/wiki/Sida:Personne_Svenska_teatern_7.djvu/41

b) in a newspaper two days after the show,
http://sv.wikisource.org/wiki/Sida:Post-_och_Inrikes_Tidningar_1836-01-22.djvu/1

What kind of mark-up could I use to help others find the
relationship between these two digitized sources?

Since both are web pages (even wiki pages), I can of course
create links between them. But that doesn't help me when I
find a third and fourth text that refer to the same event.
What I'm looking for is a more scalable solution.

Full text search is no good, since the newspaper refers to
the date as "last Wednesday" and the history book says
"on January 20" without mentioning the year. These two
sources also use different names for the same theatre.

If I enter some "micro format" or RDF mark-up, e.g. the
date in a standardized YYYY-MM-DD format and a link to
the Wikipedia page describing this theater, or even the
latitude and longitude of the place, is there any
web search engine that will index this knowledge?

Or should I just add the date and present name of the
theatre in text on the two web pages, and hope for Google
and other full text search engines?

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)