[Web4lib] Disney films based on public domain fairy tales are not derivative works

Pat Rapp Pat.Rapp at fairportlibrary.org
Wed Jul 14 09:24:15 EDT 2010

Interesting that someone is considering this, but I can't see how a storyline can be patentable -- that's the whole reason behind copyright, isn't it?

In order for something to be patentable, it must meet the following three criteria:
1. It must be novel
2. It must be non-obvious to someone well-versed in the field
3. It must be useful

A storyline can be novel (in fact, it probably should be if you want to sell it!) and it might be able to be non-obvious. But as far as usefulness, a story is just a story, not a useful tool or a new process.

Pat Rapp
Webmaster
Fairport Public Library
1 Fairport Village Landing | Fairport, NY 14450 | 585-223-9091 ext 28

I am reading an aBook (analog). It has these things called "pages." - Alan Levine