[Web4lib] ARES automating reserves system

John Fereira jaf30 at cornell.edu
Mon Jul 12 16:48:21 EDT 2010

We're using Ares at Cornell University Libraries and have been pretty happy with it though I don't deal with the end users so I wouldn't hear any complaints directly.  I developed a wrapper service that also integrates with our voyager catalog and that services is used on several unit library sites as well as the main CUL web site (all Drupal sites).  That provides a drop down select list of classes which have reserve items, then when a class is selected,  all reserve items for the class, *and* the current availability of the item as determined from the catalog via my service is shown as well.  You can see it in action at:

http://www.mannlib.cornell.edu/library-services/borrowing-delivery/course-reserves

Note that students never use a UI provided by Ares.