[Web4lib] Friendly language

Riesner, Giles W. GRIESNER at ccbcmd.edu
Fri Jan 29 12:25:17 EST 2010

My most recent boss had the task of merging three library websites (for the individual
campuses) into one. They were all very different and our director wanted a SINGLE site
for all 3 libraries. She did usability testing with a number of different students and
went for "user friendly" terms whenever possible and yet we have "course reserves" on
our homepage.

Our Library Catalog is Labeled as such, but with a descriptive "subtitle"
of "What we Own" as she discovered that many of our students didn't quite understand the
term. Feel free to take a look at what we have and see what you think of it.
Our URL is http://library.ccbcmd.edu.

Giles W. Riesner, Jr. | Library Tech Support/Library System Administrator
The Community College of Baltimore County | 800 South Rolling Road | Catonsville, MD 21228 USA
Phone: 1-443-840-4245  |  Fax: 1-443-840-4606  |  E-Mail: griesner at ccbcmd.edu
CCBC. The incredible value of education.